Tuesday, April 21, 2009






"Just a Dog"- Author Unknown


From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man/woman." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog", just smile, because they "just don't understand."

--Author Unknown

8 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love this post, Joy!

Our good and faithful Molly is keeping me company, this afternoon, as J fishes. She's definitely not "just a dog".:-)

i said...

Well said! My dog is not just a dog too ;-)

Carole Burant said...

Oh yes, the author is so right, there is no such thing as "just a dog"! They have so much love to give and are such wonderful companions, how lonely our lives would be if it wasn't for them. I had a little dog for years while growing up and some of my favourite memories involve him:-) Wonderful post!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Joy, :)
Thank you very much for visiting my blog today and becoming a follower.
I really appreciate it.
You're always welcomed anytime!

Yours is wonderful and I will be back to visit with you often.

Have a blessed week.
`Melissa :)

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

In my opinion, there is no such thing as "just a dog". Recently one of my very good friends had to make the heartbreaking decision to put her beloved dog to sleep. He was diagnosed with advanced stages of cancer. Even with treatment his quality of life would have been compromised and what beloved pet deserves that? Her heart was broken and she is grieving. She took time off from work and people there, literally told her she was making to much over the loss of "just a dog". Can you believe it? I told her it's no matter what those other think as "we" know that our pets are part of our family and we love them with our heart as such.
Salsa is a gift, not "just a dog". Have I ever told you how I love that name "Salsa"? Is s/he frisky and sprited as Salsa is?
Enjoy your day!

Linda said...

Joy, this is lovely and so very true. For me there is no such thing as "just a dog"....Lily is my wonderful and faithful companion who bring me much joy, comfort and love. Aren't we the lukcy ones...others just don't know what they are missing. A happy day and hugs, to you...Linda

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Just a dog whose name was Winnie, kept me from going insane when my husband of 43 years passed away. When I wanted to die and not get out of bed in the morning, just a dog was there for me. Looking concerned, waiting for me to return when I HAD to leave the house to get groceries. I didn't have to come home to an empty house. Winnie passed away from an unknown cause..I will miss her always. I cried for days and days. I still cry sometimes.
When Frank died...I had Mele..just a dog to once again make me keep going forward. She was a precious gift from him. She is under my chair as I type this, sleeps at the foot of my bed, gently wakes me in the morning to let her out.
My new husband...is learning from me..how important she is and I love him for trying. Thanks so much for this post. Anyone who loves their little dog like we do...would NEVER use the term "just a dog!" Never!!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

It saddens me that people think like - "it's just a dog". We love our Golden Maxie, he's a part of our family and such good company for me!

Manuela